Skip to main content



Vintage Sewing: Simplicity 2498, a 1940s dress with bias ruffles, yoke, and a tiered, gathered skirt

I started sewing this dress back in 2014-- I think I bought the pattern on eBay, and can't remember when or where I picked up the blue seersucker fabric. I didn't have white fabric in my stash that was the right weight, so I went to Joann Fabrics for that, because it was the nearest fabric store at the time. 

Using the Bernina ruffler foot, I attached bias fabric with a finished edge with gathers, along the yoke of the bodice. One of the few notes I have about sewing this dress was how annoying it was to sew bias ruffles.

 A clean finish for the bodice neckline and center back-- you can see the interface along the fold-back button placket for the center back.

Not much has changed since 2014. I've hated hand sewing all my life (not sure why, since I like other handcrafts), so I used the blind hem attachment on my machine to tack down the button plackets, and for the hem as well.

Where the back bodice ends and attaches to the skirt, the dress has a beautifully inserted plac…

Latest Posts

Making Dandelion Wine (or really, Dandelion Soda)

Garden update 1, 2018

Vintage Sewing: Advance 9245, Infant Pinafore

Knitting: A Twisted Rib Stitch Hat with Colorwork

Vintage Sewing: Simplicity 8550 T-Shirt

Vintage Sewing: McCall 1371 Winter Hood

Vintage Knitting: Cabled Infant Cardigan (1959 Good Housekeeping)

Your Future Home Guide: 1945 house plan designs